Thursday, March 3, 2011

On A Positive Note.....

I realized my posts this week haven't been so much upbeat or fun loving, which they should be. So I just wanted to let you know I am having a good time (minus my accommodation--BUT I have something positive to share about that as well).



The school here is FABULOUS. They have been absolutely accommodating and welcoming, more so even than the school I student taught at in Utah. The principal overseeing our time here is absolutely wonderful, easy to talk to, and willing to help us in any way shape or form. Wonderful is what she is. I could detail everything she has done for us and has arranged for us, but that would be a bit time consuming and maybe a bit more dry to read, so I wont, just know she's A-Mazing.


The people here have been absolutely wonderful. I am quite the novelty around the school and around town, which has been great. People want to talk to me, because they love my accent, silly them. I had a lady today tell me she always trys to immitate how we talk, because she wishes she had an American accent. Funny girl. Because I'm in the ESOL class, they all want me to teach, so they can have an American Accent. I guess you always want something you don't have. I want to pick up their accent here, and they want to pick up mine, so we'll see which one happens. :D

As far as where I will be staying. I have had a difficult time with where we are staying. There are a lot of "dodgy" (I love that word, and they use it for what we, or I, would say creepers) people around where I'm staying and I don't like being there. I have been wandering around until it gets dark, which I have been told not to do, especially in my neighborhood, and I just don't feel like it's a place where I will get a good feel and a good New Zealand experience. In fact, if I stay there, I think I will come to despise New Zealand, and I will not have as many positive things to say. Therefore, I'm happy to say, I have a different place to live. I have been offered a place with a lady from church, as well as another member I have met here at school. He is a university student here at Waikato, and has a 2 year old daughter. His wife told him that he's not allowed to come home until he brings me with him. So I will not be at my accommodation through the weekend.

Last night, I was able to go to Much Ado About Nothing in Hamilton Gardens. It was absolutely wonderful. I loved it. The pronunciations fit so much better with the Shakespearean language (imagine that!) It was quite wonderful.

Also, tomorrow we're headed to Mt. Monganui. I've heard it's "lovely" and that I will "quite enjoy" it. Right now, it's currently raining, quite hard in fact, and it's supposed to rain tomorrow as well. Hopefully it won't be raining for the duration of our time there though, because that would be "quite dreadful" Because it's the ocean and the beach and there's really nothing to do there when it rains. So we're praying for sun for tomorrow. I'll take lots of pictures for you, don't you worry.

Anywho, that's whats going on right now. See you on monday!

1 comment:

  1. You used the wrong there, Tiffany. "I want to pick up THEIR accent here." Silly, Tiff. I thought you were an English teacher. :)

    ReplyDelete