Friday, March 11, 2011

It's Earthquake Season

Well, as you know there was an Earthquake in Japan followed by a massive Tsunami.

This is following a large earthquake in Christchurch, as well as smaller-ish ones in Wellington. It's something I never really paid attention to much when I was in Colorado/Utah, because it was something so foreign to me that could never really affect me.

Now that I'm living somewhere that is constantly affected by these natural disasters it puts a new perspective in front of me.

Today we were going to go to Mount Monganui because as we all know last week was not so great. But there is a tsunami warning for New Zealand. All of the north island coasts here have been issued as a "minor land threat."

"People in coastal areas of New Zealand are being advised to:
1. Stay off beaches.
2. Stay out of the water (sea, rivers and estuaries, including boating activities).
3. Not go sightseeing.
4. Share this information with family, neighbours and friends.
5. Listen to the radio for updates.
6. Follow instructions of your local Civil Defence authorities. "


Hence the reason we aren't going. Wave heights are going to be a minimum of 1 meter high.

This is a reality. It's not something that is happening to some unknown other. It's happening to people around me. It's happening to loved ones of those around me.

This has just made me realize that much more how important it is to be ready, for whatever may happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment