Saturday, October 15, 2011

Car Buying

So, now that I’m “grown” and in adulthood, I’ve been told it’s time to start making those adult choices and act grown up.

I’ve been looking into buying a car, especially of late.  I’ve been driving Brent’s car he left here when he went to Germany, because my car died, for lack of a better word.  Brent’s car has treated me well, and I am extremely appreciative of him and his family for letting me drive it (partially because my mom never did happen to sell it, but that’s another story.)  But his car is much to be desired.  I know he bought it in desperate times, and it really is a decent running car, but I would like one to call my own, that isn’t…. run down, I guess.  Brent’s car is two-tone because it was in a front-end collision.  It also has the air bags deployed and is a two door, sitting low to the ground.  Like I said, whoever he bought it from did a good job, because it runs well, but I need one that’s mine.

I have been looking into getting a SUV crossover.  They appeal to me for several reasons.  One, moving.  I guess I feel like I move a lot, probably because I spent every summer during college living at home with my mom, so I always had to be able to fit everything in my car to drive home.  Also, I am somewhat of an independent person.  I feel like a crossover I can fit everything I need into it, and also it can (and would according to my specifications) have a towing package, so I could rent a U-Haul that hooks up to your hitch, and be able to move everything on my own, without the help from anyone.  I also like that they can be AWD.  Very appealing.

I’ve been internet researching cars for a few months now.  I can buy a BRAND NEW sedan for around 10-14,000 depending on the type of car.  However, if I buy a crossover, I’m going to be lucky to find one USED for the same amount.  So my reasoning was just to save up for a little longer, and then find a good used crossover I really like.

But I was thinking today, as I was driving Tobin and Namara home from bowling in Kale’s car.  I think part of the reason God had me move out to the middle of nowhere Yuma is to learn how to ask for help.  I need to learn how to seek out help when I need it, and I don’t always need to do everything myself.

So this is what I deducted:  I don’t really need a crossover/SUV, I don’t have any reason at all as far as my day to day lifestyle is concerned, I can still take a sedan camping, and it gets better gas mileage.  It’s not going to handle any better in the snow, especially because I’ve always driven front wheel drive vehicles.  Also, I really think Heavenly Father is helping me to rely on other people more.  Yes, self-reliance is good, but building up the Kingdom is just as important.  So, more than likely I will be buying a practical and reliable sedan, so I can learn to ask for help from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment