Sunday, February 19, 2012

Bugged

I had a conversation with my colleague/ Branch President recently that got under my skin.  It has been difficult working side by side with my branch president, because I don’t respect him on the professional level, so trying to set that aside on Sunday is sometimes very difficult.  Often, throughout the week, when I am trying to have conversations about curriculum or lesson plans, he won’t answer and he won’t stay focused unless he’s under pressure from Admin to get something done.  Like I said, frustrating. 

Anywho, beside the point.

We were going over a benchmark test (something that I’m still trying to wrap my head around) and Chris and I were texting intermittently because my colleague takes FOREVER to decide on an answer.  My colleague said it was really rude for me to be texting when I should be focused on the test.  I wanted to tell him off a little bit right there (for so many reasons), but I didn’t.  Then, he asked me if Chris and I were getting married.  Well, for starters, that’s none of his business.  I told him I didn’t know, maybe.  That was my answer: maybe.  Then my colleague answers: “Tiffany, marry someone who can take you to the temple.  That’s what I think.  Chris can never do that.”

I really wanted to tell him off then.  But I didn’t.

This is why it annoys me: My colleague has only met Chris once.  He has NEVER sat down and talked to Chris.  Chris is a great guy.  He has high standards and treats me the way I deserve.  He loves me unconditionally and would do anything for me.  The thing about Chris is that he is better than the majority of LDS boys I have been around for the past five years or so.  I wanted to turn to my colleague and tell him all these things, and tell him the only reason Chris couldn’t take me to the temple tomorrow is because he is not baptized.  THAT and that alone is the only reason Chris wouldn’t be able to take me to the temple tomorrow.

My colleague has NEVER even tried to get to know Chris.  Has he talked to Chris about the gospel?  NO.  The reason I was so offended at his comment, was because of the narrow-mindedness of his comment.  He immediately wrote Chris off the minute he found out that Chris wasn’t Mormon.  I hate that.  I HATE that.  It really frustrates me that someone could be so narrow minded when, as disciples of Christ, we are supposed to set examples of love and friendship.  We are supposed to help those who are ready to hear the gospel, not cast them aside, because they weren’t raised in the gospel.  I know I’m not the best example, and at times I’m probably a bit of a hypocrite in saying all this, but it really rubbed me the wrong way, especially coming from a Branch President. 

I know who I am and I know what I’m doing.  That alone should be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment