Saturday, October 12, 2013

a really long tale about nothing in particular, but everything at the same time

It's crazy to say that we have been so busy, yet nothing has really happened in the last month and a half or so.

Don't get me wrong, we've been busy, but nothing newsworthy. Like two of our goats were eaten by coyotes, we sold another goat and made our money back on her (rarely happens), we bought two piglets we are going to raise up for butchering. (All within less than a week)

We sold most of our calves, and they were top sellers at the auction, bringing in a little more money than we had budgeted.

Our chickens are all officially laying now, and we are getting 10-12 eggs a day, of which Chris and I have been selling at work, bringing in enough money to pay for their feed.

We are getting ready to breed my jersey heifer, so she'll be calving this summer, and we will then have "farm fresh" milk.

So far, all I've written about are the animals, but really that is a big aspect of our lives now, (really MY life, animals have always been a big part of Chris's life.)

Other things have happened too, but they are things I want to come home and forget about.

Like my job.  Usually there are days/weeks/times I don't enjoy my job. There are things about teaching that no one told you about, plus I think you always have unenjoyable moments of any job, but this year, I am really struggling to enjoy anything about my job.

We have students this year who learned some really nasty habits last year. This group of students have strong personalities, and more than enough attitude to go along with it. I have been told on numerous occasions, by both parents and students, that they "didn't do anything" last year. They never had homework, they didn't have to sit quietly in class, and they didn't have to listen to their teachers.  They didn't clean up after themselves, which is evident by the amounts of trash I make them pick up before they are allowed to leave my room.

Students are really struggling passing my class this year. I've never seen students quite like this group of kids. Neither have my colleagues who have been teaching 15 plus years, who are also struggling with this group of kids.

I come home exhausted and with a headache almost EVERY day. Our house has been in such disarray lately, because when I come home I just want to veg out, and on the weekends I am so exhausted that I don't have the energy to deal with it.

Thankfully, like usual, I have an amazing husband who has stepped it up.  He has been doing the cooking, cleaning and laundry for the past 6-8 weeks, without complaint. AND he still takes care of all the animals, and all the other chores we have around the house.

We also have terrible wind. Like tornado wind that is associated with life out on the plains.  We had 100mph wind gusts the other day, which took out our barn/garage.  Part of the roof blew into the neighbors field, taking out the power lines along the way.  It was so strong it BENT a thick metal wall (think thick, insulated garage door)

We've also had an array of visitors, which has been nice.  Consistent enough to be pleasant, but not so much to be overwhelming.

So basically, that is a really long tale about nothing in particular, but everything at the same time.









No comments:

Post a Comment